Wednesday, October 8, 2008

sunflower seeds

Thinking back to the days of my youth, as long as I can remember, I have loved me some sunflower seeds. I remember my dad and I eating meals on seeds during double headers so we could drive home without having to stop for food. I was taught at an early age how to de-seed and spit with large amounts in my my mouth. I really haven't thought about it in a long time, it's just kind of second nature (or as they call it in rehabilitation sciences, muscle memory). However, I indeed was taught this very tedious skill/art form.

Monday, I was on the opposite end of this. A high school student manager and I were at football practice on when I pulled out my fresh bag of Jim Beam B-B-Q flavored seeds (if you haven't tried these, you must before the playoffs are over). He asked if he could have some and then asked what to do with them. To the best of my ability, I walked him through the proper technique. By the end of practice, he could even place 10-20 in his mouth at a time with no problem. He even went so far as to ask if flowers were going to grow in his stomach. I assured him no flower could grow without sunlight or in the acidity level of our stomachs.

A special thanks to my new friend for making football practice go by a little faster on monday!

1 Comments:

Blogger austin said...

what has happened to our world when a young man of 16 doesn't know how to properly eat and disgard of the rubbish from a sunflower seed. forget the financial crises... this is the pressing issue of our day! hahaha!!

oh man this post made me laugh. thanks man. and thanks so much for teaching this kid such an important life lesson. i'm proud of you my friend.

you should have told him the flower WOULD in fact grow in his stomach.

October 10, 2008 at 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home