Monday, September 29, 2008

ministry

I have been thinking about what ministry means a lot lately. I don't think it's my own idea, I'm sure I heard it from someone else, but one of the best definitions of ministry I have ever heard and hold to the most is to simply meet the needs of others. I love it because it is different for every person you come in contact with. For one it might be giving them a coat for the winter, for another, words of encouragement, and yet another being the only form of love they recieve. 

When Jesus did ministry, he always met needs first. Jesus healed, then many believed. He fed, then they believed. He died, he rose, then they believed. Jesus understood humanity, because he was human. He knew in order to save souls he must first deal with the present in one's life. I strive to meet the needs of the individual. 

I don't feel like my ministry is teaching and for the longest time, I wanted it to be so bad. However, over the past few years I have come to understand that I can do ministry by being what someone else needs me to be for them. And now, I am excited to be just that! Jesus will do the rest.

1 Comments:

Blogger austin said...

oh my friend... i like it. i remember those thoughts running through your brain while we took walks down at the mystic seaport or while we ate late night pizzas with crushed pepper and extra cheese.

i think a very very important bullet to your definition is to do these things purposefully. i think its understood, but you know...

i miss ya and love what your doing over there in west texas.

September 30, 2008 at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home