Thursday, August 21, 2008

what do I deserve?

This is a question I have been contemplating for some time now. I know spiritually I deserve hell, eternal damnation. One sin separates me from the holiness of God. I should have eternal separation from the creator. But because of a servant leader who chose death (Jesus was not killed, he gave his life), I graciously receive the perfect gift of salvation. But as far as this life, what do I deserve?

Do I deserve to have this computer I am typing on? Not any more than anyone else does. So, why am I blessed with even non-necessities? It's stuff like this I don't understand. My parents have always been supportive of everything I do and encourage me to chase my dreams. Some parents are absent from their children's lives and others are present but abusive mentally, physically, and emotionally. I get the best, someone else gets the worst. Its not fair.

The only rationale I can make in my head is, it's God's sovereign plan. So, instead of beating my self down about the things I have (way more than I need), I am thankful to the God of all creation who gives...and takes away!

3 Comments:

Blogger austin said...

please read "everything must change."

seriously. right now. get up and go buy it. now.

ive been wondering how much is too much. i saw a special the other day on a new fad (poor word choice) for people who want simple living. they only allow themselves to own 100 items. 100. that counts pots and pans, jeans and shoes, pens and cars, computers and ipods.

you know though, having only 100 things wont cure the injustices in the world, nor will it bring happiness... i think the key is contentment. but a contentment teamed with justice and giving.

good thoughts bryan.

August 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger B. Simp said...

man, i have tried to cut out unnecessary things...for example, I am working with an inner-city school where the kids don't have much money. Very few have cars and ipods etc... I try not to use the things they don't have (except my car...i live a long way from the school). This is very small in the grand scheme of things, but i want to keep myself in check, realizing i can live without some of the stuff i rely on to get me through a long trip.

August 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM  
Blogger austin said...

that sounds like a good idea... ive had your post on my mind this weeka little and some more thoughts came to the forefront today. i wrote about it a little... let me know what you think.

i miss you man.

August 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home