Sunday, July 27, 2008

church shopping

I have found myself in another new city, which means finding a new church, friends, and your way around town. It's not hard to find a church in Lubbock, Tx, but to find one to be a part of is. Ever since I have been back from Ct, it has been hard to go back to church, not because central pub was the best, but because we were a group of sinners trying to love Jesus and I felt like everyone was real! I visited a new church this morning. Ironically the pastor of this church plant here in Lubbock discussed the vision of the church. He dreamed of going over seas or to the north somewhere to start this church, but then decided there was plenty of people to reach in Lubbock. The main vision of this church called "Experience Life" is to reach those who have either been hurt by the church or haven't had a good experience in church. They meet at a skating rink because they would rather send money to the homeless than build a church and they do service projects monthly. I really liked the vision they have and the passion of the pastor. I believe this will be a place I will definitely visit again.

Then, Adriene and I visited a more traditional church on the second half of our two-a-days. It was cool too, but definitely different than the first we visited. The people weren't very welcoming (except for the 6 or so Adriene randomly new). But it was a large church and it didn't seem like many people new each other.

I haven't been to a church yet where God split open the sky and said, "you should worship here!" but I will keep looking...it's bound to happen


4 Comments:

Blogger austin said...

im glad you liked the skating rink church. it sounds very cool. its a hard thing to hear Jesus on this one for me. i am so jaded and picky and cynical that i think im making it hard for his voice to peirce my hard heart. and like you said, central pub wasn't the greatest church either... there were plenty of people who tried it out and didn't come back or slapped the pastor for not liking abercrombie and fitch!! hahahahaha!!!

seriously though, i'll be praying for you bryan. i miss you a lot and hope you're enjoying Jesus in lubbock.

July 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger B. Simp said...

hahahaha! yes, someone did slap the pastor for liking abercrombie! wow, that truly is an amazing story! ridiculous, but amazing!

July 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger austin said...

i read your post again and laughed at "two a days." we've had a few of those too. i don't think either one of us like them to much, so im about to quit them. is it sinful to think one church service on sunday is enough??

July 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger B. Simp said...

No, i think I will quit two-a-days too. I don't have an attention span of 3 hours. During the second service I might as well not be there anyway.

July 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home